They really do become part of the family.
Thursday is "National Pet Day."
It was founded in 2006 by Colleen Paige, a pet and family lifestyle expert, to celebrate the joy pets bring to our lives and also to create awareness about the plight animals face waiting for homes in shelters and rescues around the world.
Here are some ideas from www.nationalpetday.co on how to celebrate the day:
1. Adopt a pet from your local shelter or pure breed rescue organization.
2. Volunteer at your local shelter and offer to care for the animals.
3. Donate blankets, food and toys to a favourite animal welfare organization.
4. Organize a peaceful demonstration in front of your community pet store that sells pets from puppy or kitten mills.
5. Have a National Pet Day party and celebrate all your pets!
6. Spend the day taking photos of your pets and then post them on our Facebook page!
7. Assist an ill, elderly or a financially struggling neighbour or friend by purchasing pet food, hay or needed items for their pets.
8. Purchase a National Pet Day Tee Shirt (or other gift item) here, to express your devotion to all animals.
9. Buy your pet a fun new toy....or two...or five.
10. Post photos of your pets on social media using the hashtag #NationalPetDay
You can also win a new bed on the affiliate stations of 570 NEWS on Thursday.
Tomorrow is #nationalpetday and Country 106.7 is celebrating with @SleepCountryCan! All day tomorrow, we'll have your chance to WIN a new bed for your furry friend courtesy of Sleep Country Canada and #1 for Country, Country 106.7! Details here ??https://t.co/9wfcslEP2o pic.twitter.com/c4SfXG6O09— COUNTRY 106.7 (@country1067) April 10, 2019