For a second straight day, Region of Waterloo Public Health is reporting over 100 new COVID-19 cases. 114 were confirmed on Wednesday afternoon.
It puts the overall total at 12,939.
Another COVID-related death is also being reported, a man who was in his 60s, which raises the local death toll to 246.
Also on Wednesday, the first case linked to the strain found in South Africa (B.1.351) was added to the dashboard. Health officials provided further details late Wednesday afternoon, saying a woman in her 60s had it, and the case is now resolved. It was also not related to travel.
31 people are being treated in hospital, 13 of which are in intensive care. The active caseload has climbed to 639.
Here are some other updates from the region's dashboard:
- 123,446 doses of the COVID vaccine have been administered --- 15,626 people in the region have been fully vaccinated (2.65 per cent)
- 901 cases have screened positive for variants of concern - 40 are the U.K. strain - one is linked to the variant first detected in South Africa - lineage to the other 860 has not been determined yet
- 12,038 resolved cases (93 per cent)
- Over 443,000 tests have been done
There are currently 18 active outbreaks in the region:
- NEW St. Anne Catholic Elementary School (two cases)
- NEW Trucking 2 (two cases)
- St. Mary's General Hospital - 4th floor
- Highland Public School (three cases)
- General office setting 9 (two cases)
- Elite Day Care 2 (two cases)
- Congregate setting 35 (four cases)
- Waterloo Collegiate Institute (two cases)
- Food and beverage services 14 (three cases)
- YMCA Brigadoon Child Care (five cases)
- Trades and related services 9 (two cases)
- Food processing 8 (three cases)
- St. Luke Catholic Elementary School (two cases)
- Place of Worship 4 (two cases)
- Elite Day Care (five cases)
- Holy Rosary Catholic Elementary School 3 (two cases)
- Health (optometrist) 2 (three cases)
- Manufacturing/industrial 31 (seven cases)
Meantime, the province reported 4,156 cases Wednesday.
The rest of the provincial COVID-19 totals are posted below:
- 337,206 vaccinations have been completed
- 398,835 total cases
- 354,417 resolved cases
- 1,877 people are in hospital - 642 are in intensive care - 442 are on a ventilator
- 7,610 deaths (28 new)
- 54,211 tests completed Tuesday - 13.17 million since January 15, 2020