As the holiday season ramps up, so does the possibility of missing packages.
Wellington County OPP is warning residents that their online deliveries might not be safe from thieves.
"Everyone is out shopping and making online purchases, criminals will be out trying to take opportunities, spotting packages that are unsupervised on someone's front porch is an easy grab for thieves," said Const. Joshua Cunningham with Wellington County OPP.
He said packages being stolen off porches is not just a seasonal thing.
"This happens routinely throughout the year, however given the number of volume of deliveries to homes this time of year we do see a spike in the number of thefts."
Cunningham said you can protect yourself from these pesky porch pirates by making arrangements the delivery service, family members or even friends. Here are some tips:
- Track deliveries online and try to be home at the time a package is delivered.
- If possible, request deliveries services to get a signature from a recipient.
- When scheduling a delivery, leave instructions on where the package can be delivered or ask for a phone call when it is delivered. Even leaving a package out of sight may make all the difference.
- Ask a trusted friend or neighbour to receive your package at the time of delivery.
- If allowed by an employer, have the packages delivered to your work.
- Have the package delivered to a delivery depot where it can be held for pickup.
- Consider installing a motion-detection home security system that records video and sends immediate notice of activity to your cell phone. Many new smart door bell system allow live updates.
- Some stores provide a pickup-in-store service that allow you to pick up items from a nearer location.
- Look carefully when ordering as retailers may have a way of customizing delivery instructions.
- Be a good neighbour and watch for suspicious activity and immediately call Police if any such activity is seen in your neighbourhood.