Skip to content

Two structure fires in Woodstock cause $240k in property damage (3 photos)

The fires occurred at a detached garage on a residential property and Len's Mill Store

Two structure fires in Woodstock have resulted in $240,000 in property damage, according to the Woodstock Fire Department.

A release says the first fire occurred at a residence where a detached garage was in flames. Firefighters were able to quickly bring the fire under control.

An investigation determined that the fire had been caused outside the garage by an improperly disposed cigarette in a mulch area. The fire has resulted in $40,000 worth of damage.

Later that night at 1:47 a.m., firefighters responded to an activated alarm at 80 Norwich Avenue at Len's Mill Store.

According to the release, the fire was spreading inside the store and inside of an exterior wall. The sprinkler system had activated, helping to keep the fire down as 20 firefighters put it out.

A majority of the Len's Mill Store building was saved, but the damages are estimated to be worth $200,000. The cause of the fire is still under investigation. 

As a result from these two incidents, Woodstock firefighters would like to remind residents to never flick cigarettes into mulch areas and to douse cigarette butts in water before throwing them away, as they can smoulder and catch fire. 




Comments

Rogers Media
230 The Boardwalk Kitchener, ON, N2N 0B1 © 2006-2020 Rogers Media. All rights reserved.