ONTARIO PROVINCIAL POLICE
On March 11, 2021 at approximately 4:00 p.m., members from the West Parry Sound Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) responded to a traffic complaint of a possible impaired driver on Highway 400 in McDougall Township. Officers located the vehicle and after speaking with the driver, officers concluded a drug had been consumed. During the investigation officers concluded that the passenger had also been driving during the traffic complaint. Both occupants were arrested and transported to the Almaguin Highlands OPP detachment where further testing was conducted.
As a result of further investigation, Robert HAGEY, 36 years-of-age of Kitchener, Ontario was charged with:
- Operation while impaired - alcohol and drugs, contrary to Section 320.14(1)(a) of the Criminal Code (CC),
- Fail to comply with probation order, contrary to Section 733.1(1) CC (two counts),
- Unauthorized possession of a weapon(black folding knife - centrifugal force) contrary to section91(2) CC,
- Possession of firearm or ammunition contrary to a probation order, contrary to Section 117.01(1) CC (three counts),
- Possession of a Schedule 1 substance- heroin, contrary to Section 4(1) of the Controlled Drug and Substance Act (CDSA),
- Drive vehicle or boat with cannabis readily available, contrary to Section 12(1) of the Cannabis Control Act 2017 (CCA2017),
- Possession of over 30g dried cannabis (or equivalent) in a public place, contrary to section 8(1)(a) of the Cannabis Act, and
- Driving while under suspension, contrary to Section 53(1) of the Highway Traffic Act.
Also charged is, Ryan PARSONS, 41 years-of-age of Kitchener, with:
- Operation while impaired - alcohol and drugs, contrary to Section 320.14(1)(a) (CC),
- Have care or control of a vehicle or boat with cannabis readily available, contrary to Section 12(1) of the CCA2017,
- Possession of a Schedule 1 substance- heroin, contrary to Section 4(1) CDSA, and
- Operate a motor vehicle without insurance, contrary to Section 2(1)(a) of the Compulsory Automobile Insurance Act.
Both accused are scheduled to appear at the Ontario Court of Justice in Parry Sound on April 15, 2021. Both accused were issued a 90-day Administrative Drivers Licence Suspension (ADLS), and the vehicle was impounded for seven days.
These charges mark the 15 and 16th drivers charged under the Criminal Impaired Driving Laws in the West Parry Sound Detachment area in 2021.
Reporting impaired driving is everyone's responsibility. Call 9-1-1 if you suspect an impaired driver.