It's time to say 'thank you, next' to 2018.
It was an interesting year. Fake news became part of our dialect, but 2018 didn't require click-bait as reality was much juicier. Canada legalized marijuana. Meghan Markle married into the royal family. South Korea closed its largest dog meat slaughterhouse. The world's first baby was born to a woman who received a uterus transplanted from a deceased donor and Justin Bieber moved to Waterloo Region - with his new wife Hayley Baldwin.
Whether or not you are a Belieber - 2018 has, arguably, earned its grand finale.
From young families looking for an early countdown, to venues worthy of your final 2018 social media stories, to those choosing to open their homes to toast alongside their family. New Year's Eve in Waterloo Region is an all-inclusive affair.
1. Family Friendly
- Ring in the Noon Year at THEMUSEUM 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. balloon drop, toast, New Year's dance party
- Waterloo Public Library Noon Year's Eve 11:30 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- RIM Park free public skating 4 to 5:50 p.m.
- Waterloo Public Square 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. including crafts, fireworks, warm fire pit, skating and hot chocolate
- Kitchener City Hall 6 p.m. to Midnight - crafts, replica Ghostbusters' vehicle, vintage arcade games, toy, comic and collectable marketplace, free ice skating, live music, countdown to 2019 with members of council.
- City of Cambridge 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. ice skating, photo booth, games, Comedy in Motion, Beavertails
- Bingemans FunworX Family Friendly NYE, Gift of lights, Kingpin NYE
2. Count down in the club (19+)
- Starlight's Annual NYE Bash DJ 88 & DJ Surreal. Party favours
- NYE at Maxwell's New Year's Eve with Danko Jones "No party favours, no fancy decorations, just Rock n' Roll."
- 21 Fir "Ring in the New Year, speakeasy style." Hors d'oeuvres, Jazz, complimentary champagne toast.
- Descendants Beer & Beverage Co. "Descendant's Bierhalle will be turned into a mysterious, luxurious Ballroom ready to host the ultimate Masquerade Ball." Live music, casino games, hors d'oeuvres, midnight toast, craft beer. Costumes welcome.
- Elements New Year's Eve 2019 Party DJ Flash "There will be $1000 in cash and prizes as well as the biggest balloon drop in the tri-cities."
- Ace Ping Pong Lounge "KW's exclusive, unique, & fun venue. Ring in the new year with Ping Pong, great music, cold drinks and all your friends! Headlining the Evening will be Simply Sounding Good alongside Whitegold."
3. There's no place like home (low-stress ideas for celebrating at home)
- Potluck Party - assign each friend/couple an appetizer, main dish, dessert or drink. Chef and Food Journalist, Mike Ward uses the idea of a 'Cocktail Tasting Menu.' "Something that I've had fun doing previous New Year's Eves; if I'm inviting people over for a dinner party - I ask them to bring the mixings for their own favourite cocktail. We all take a moment to mix a batch for each other."
- Date Night - NYE can be expensive. Save the Uber, cost of entry, and inflated dinner prices, and cuddle up at home with one of these NYE classics.
- Airbnb - no one said staying home on NYE meant you had to be in your own home. NYE is one of the busiest rental nights of the year. With amazing places like these for your group of friends, to welcome 2019, we can see why.
- Uber Eats - Netflix and Chill just got real. You can order Cineplex popcorn combos through Uber Eats, along with just about everything else your heart desires.