As more deaths related to COVID-19 are being reported at Ontario's long term care homes, scrutiny is being directed at the government's handling of inspections.
A number of media outlets have reported that 2,800 inspections were carried out last year, with only nine out of the 626 homes receiving a comprehensive inspection.
On Friday, Ontario's Minister of Long Term Care, Merrilee Fullerton told Kitchener Today with Brian Bourke on 570 NEWS that those figures were misleading.
She said, the nine out of 626 figure is in reference to Resident Quality Inspections (RQIs), which are randomly conducted and are "not specific to infection control or prevention whatsoever."
The Ministry also conducts annual inspections at all long term care facilities.
"So I really have to correct that misinformation that's floating out there. That we have a vigorous, one of the—I would say—most vigorous inspection processes in all of Canada."
Given the nature of the coronavirus, the inspection would not have even prepared them for the pandemic, according to Fullerton.
She said that over the past decade, long term care had been neglected in the province, which led to the creation of the Ministry of Long Term Care under the Ford Government.
She assures people that more support and measures are coming to long term care facilities.