Skip to content

Man accused of child sex assaults in region has died

Multiple news outlets confirm 32-year old Timi Gusak passed away over the last week
0
Court
Stock photo

An update into the case involving three separate sexual assaults of young girls in Waterloo Region.

Gusak's defense lawyer Lakin Afolabi, has confirmed to 570 NEWS, 32-year old Timi Gusak, charged in all three cases, has died.

According to the CBC, Afolabi says he died early Saturday morning, but did not indicate to them how he died.

However, Afolabi tells The Record Gusak's father told him the cause of death, information that was not disclosed.

"My work here is pretty much done because there's no one to represent anymore. I will be expecting the prosecution to withdraw the charges upon receiving confirmation of his death," Afolabi said.

The timing of the death isn't exactly concrete at the moment.  The CBC says the Ministry of the Solicitor General confirms an inmate at Maplehurst Correctional Complex in Milton was rushed to hospital early Saturday morning after going into medical distress.

That inmate died in hospital Tuesday.

But the Ministry did not release the identity or personal health information because of privacy reasons.

Three separate investigations will be conducted into the inmates death, the Ministry says.  Those investigations will be done by the Office of the Chief Coroner, the ministry and police.

Gusak was denied bail late last month, and was being held at Maplehurst.

He was arrested back on August 15, charged with three counts of sexual assault and three counts of sexual interference.

This, in relation to the assaults of girls between four and six years old over the span of about six years, all happening in stairwells of apartment buildings.

The first happened on October 20, 2013 between 3 p.m. and 5 p.m. at 429 Barrie Place in Waterloo, involving a four-year old.  The second assault was on the evening of October 27, 2017, when police say a six-year old was sexually assaulted inside the building at 318 Patricia Avenue in Kitchener.

The third, and most recent assault, was of a four-year old on July 6 of this year on Brybeck Crescent.

All three cases were connected using DNA evidence, police say.

Afolabi expressed his sympathies to the families of everyone involved to The Record, while also mentioning the families of the victims likely wanted to see the charges go to trial.




Mark Pare

About the Author: Mark Pare

@MarkLPare
Read more
Rogers Media
230 The Boardwalk Kitchener, ON, N2N 0B1 © 2006-2019 Rogers Media. All rights reserved.