Skip to content

Kitchener company fined $60,000 after three workers suffer electrical burns

It happened on a job site in January, 2018
0
Electricity Meter
File photo

Kitchener-based O'Connor Electric and a supervisor have been fined $60,000 after pleading guilty to charges in a London court.

On January 11, 2018, three workers received electrical burns from an arc flash while working on an energized electrical system.

At the time, they were doing an upgrade to the electrical system at White Oaks Mall in London.

The Ministry of Labour said the company failed to establish and implement written measures and procedures for construction projects, as well as to adequately protect employees from electrical shock and burn.

They went on to say work site supervisor Mike Walker failed to ensure the workers had followed Section 190(4) of the Regulation for Construction Projects.

"Section 190(4) requires 'the power supply to the electrical equipment, installation or conductor shall be disconnected, locked out of service and tagged ... before the work begins, and kept disconnected, locked out of service and tagged while the work continues.'" stated a release.

O'Connor Electric was fined $55,000, while Walker will have to pay a $5,000 fine.

The court has also imposed a 25 per cent victim surcharge.

EDITOR'S NOTE: KitchenerToday does not permit comments on court stories





Blair Adams

About the Author: Blair Adams

Read more
Rogers Media
230 The Boardwalk Kitchener, ON, N2N 0B1 © 2006-2019 Rogers Media. All rights reserved.