If you depend on Grand River Transit buses to get to work or school, you will need to make alternate plans for Tuesday.
The region announced late Monday afternoon, that Unifor Local 4304 has advised them they will be on strike beginning Tuesday morning.
A release also says no further talks are scheduled.
Services affected by the strike will include Grand River Transit and BusPlus Service, MobilityPlus, the bus terminal at Ainslie Street in Cambridge and the Customer Service Centre on King Street in Kitchener.
ION train service will continue to operate.
“I am extremely disappointed that Unifor members have turned down a fair and reasonable settlement,” said Region of Waterloo CAO Mike Murray. “We regret the inconvenience this will cause everyone who depends on transit in Waterloo Region.”
On Monday afternoon, Tim Jewell, president of Unifor Local 4304, told 570 NEWS the membership made it very clear that the region didn't move far enough on the issues.
A last minute tentative deal, which avoided a strike last week, was voted down by workers at a ratification vote on Sunday.
Here is the list of services that will be impacted by the strike:
- Grand River Transit and Bus Plus Service – No buses will be running in Waterloo Region. Bus PLUS and Commuter Bus are also cancelled.
- ION train service will continue to operate. Please note if an ION service disruption should occur, there will be no bus shuttles.
- Mobility PLUS – Every effort will be made to provide transportation for pre-scheduled dialysis trips only. Scheduled trips for work, medical (including clinics) and recreation are cancelled. The TaxiSCRIP program will be available and is not affected by the strike. Specialized transit service provided by Kiwanis Transit is not affected.
- Customer Service Centres - Both the Ainslie Street Terminal and 105 King Street Customer Service Centres are closed.
- Inter-City Bus Services - Are not affected. Tickets are available online and bus operators sell fares on their buses.
In Cambridge – GO bus will continue to pick up at the Cambridge Centre Station. Coach Canada service will pick up at the GRT stop on Ainslie Street.
In Kitchener - Go Bus, Coach Canada and Greyhound will continue to use the Charles Street Terminal stops.
- Fare Cards, Tickets and Passes – Stored value on EasyGO Fare cards will remain and can be used on ION train service and when bus service resumes.
- Passes can be used on ION train service and when bus service resumes.
- MobilityPLUS tickets have no expiry dates and can be used when service resumes.