Waterloo Fire Rescue is reminding residents to double check on all alarms inside their homes, as Spring-like weather continues to inch its way closer and closer to Waterloo Region.
Public Education Officer John Percy of Waterloo Fire Rescue says it is a good time to change the batteries in your smoke alarm.
"Those batteries don't last forever. If they're electrical style and they're run by electrical wiring, it's a good time to test them and make sure that they're working, make sure they're still operational."
He says you should also remember to check the expiry date on your carbon monoxide alarms.
"They typically are good for about 10 years so it's a good time to do that," he says, "As well, next week is going to be March Break, so if the family and kids are planning a stay-cation, it's actually a good time to put together a home fire escape plan."
He says it is important to take these safety tips seriously because a majority of fires in Waterloo Region happen at residential homes.
Percy is also reminding people not to keep their car or barbecue running indoors, even with the garage door open.
"Big thing to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning as well is the outside exhaust vents. The pipes and screens for your furnace and your water heater and your dryers. Make sure they are clear of debris. There's still snow on the ground, so make sure there's nothing blocking them like snow and ice."
He says its a good time to make sure your eavestrough is clear to prevent flooding to the basement.