Trustees with the Waterloo Catholic District School Board have approved the board's budget for the upcoming school year.
That budget comes in at just under $300 million.
"Government policy changes involving class sizes, reduction in per-pupil funding, and cancellation of the Local Priorities Fund have led to an overall reduction across the school system of approximately $10 million, impacting staff as well as student programming and resources." said a release.
The operating budget is over $278 million, while the capital portion is just under $21 million.
Below are some of the strategies the board used to balance the budget:
- Reduction of support and academic staff throughout the system
- Reduction of school budgets
- Reduction of maintenance budgets
- Deferral of equipment purchases including laptops, personal computers, Chromebooks, vehicles, furniture, and custodial equipment
- Reduction of departmental PD budgets and centralized PD requiring release time