11 community organizations, seven schools and two projects initiated by an area municipality are all receiving funding from the Community Environmental Fund.
Over $145,000 worth of grants were recently approved by Regional Council.
Some of the projects awarded funding include:
- Waterloo Region Community Garden Network Pollinator and Food Hedges Project
- KW Habilitation Our Farm Trail Building Project
- Bee City Kitchener Iron Horse Trail Pollinator Path
- Forest Heights Community Pollinator Garden
- Conrad Grebel College Green Roof
- Expanding Outdoor Space at Manchester Public School
- Soaking Up Rain at Sheppard Public School
The Community Environmental Fund (CEF) was established by Regional Council in October 2011.
It provides financial support to environmental stewardship and sustainability projects that provide a positive and lasting environmental return, as well as engage residents and encourage collaboration.
Since CEF got its start, the program has provided over $1.5 million in grants for over 200 environmental stewardship and sustainability projects.