The Waterloo Region District School Board is welcoming back its students come September.
The move comes as the Ontario government announced its back to school plan on Thursday. Education Minister Stephen Lecce said that elementary school students will be returning to the classroom full-time, while many secondary schools will be taking on a model of part-time attendance for its students.
Here in Waterloo Region, high school students from both WRDSB and the Catholic school will be attending school part-time with class sizes capped at 15.
"We are just so excited to be welcoming back our students into our schools, we were encouraged by the announcement because it brings us one step closer to in classroom learning which is what we have been waiting for," said Alana Russell, Chief Communications Officer, WRDSB.
She said the school board had been working on creating plans for three scenarios; full distancing learning, full return to school, and an adaptive model.
"We had been working very diligently over the last several months to come up with plans that support those scenarios and as a result of the announcement we now have further direction on where we are going."
As part of the back to school plan, students in grades 4 to 12 will be required to wear face masks. On top of this measure, Russell said they are also adding their own protocols to ensure the safety of safe and students.
"Staggering entry and exit times from the school, we will have signage and wayfinding throughout our schools to limit the amount of contact points for students, we will also have access to hand sanitizer and handwashing for all our staff and students."
She said they have been preparing for months and are confident that they will have a safe and successful school year.