CITY OF WATERLOO
City of Waterloo Council has approved a COVID-19 Economic Relief Plan valued at approximately $750,000 to assist residents and businesses dealing with the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The City’s financial package aligns with financial assistance previously announced by the federal and provincial governments and is designed to help people deal with financial challenges presented by the COVID-19 pandemic.
The plan includes:
- Waiving late payment charges on property taxes, water and wastewater utility bills and all other residential and non-residential accounts receivable for the months of April and May 2020;
- This includes payments to the city for permits, licenses, rents and any other amounts due in April and May
- Waive Non Sufficient Funds (NSF) fees charged on customer accounts for the months of April and May 2020;
- Suspending all collection efforts on accounts in arrears during April and May 2020
- Waiving the 2020 Uptown Sidewalk Patio application fee; and
- Waiving monthly parking permit fees for the month of April 2020.
The City’s Community Services division is also issuing credits for cancelled programs and services.
“This pandemic is unlike anything most of us have ever experienced and we appreciate the profound effect it is having on everyone. As a City we are committed to doing what we can within our mandate to support our residents and businesses. I also encourage landlords to be flexible in their handling of individual situations and if they are accessing any financial breaks that they pass savings on as appropriate. We continue to monitor the community needs and will act as required with further assistance,” said Councillor Jeff Henry, chair of the City’s Strategic Planning and Finance Committee.
“This is an incredibly difficult time for everyone and our focus is on the health and safety of our residents. Our hope is that the financial flexibility offered through these measures will be of service to those that need it and alleviates some of the pressure people may be feeling,” added Mayor Dave Jaworsky.
The City is continuing to deliver critical services, such as building inspections of unoccupied buildings, fire services, water services and bylaw enforcement.
The City’s grocery shopping and telephone reassurance programs continue to operate. People can sign up by calling 519-579-6930, from Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
More information can be found at: waterloo.ca/covid19.