Region of Waterloo Public Health is reporting a new COVID-related death, a woman who was in her 60s. It raises the local death toll to 293.
There were also 27 new COVID-19 cases reported on Wednesday, 26 were added to the overall total due to a revision to a previous daily total.
The overall total is now 19,313.
Eight people are being treated for the virus in a local hospital --- six are in intensive care.
The active caseload is up to 199.
81 per cent of residents 12 and over are now fully vaccinated. Over 87 per cent of eligible residents have received at least one dose of the vaccine, which works out to over 855,000 doses.
Here are some other updates from the region's COVID summary dashboard:
- 6,095 cases have screened positive for variants of concern - 3,128 are the Alpha variant (first found in U.K.) - 21 are linked to the Beta variant (first detected in South Africa) - 2,586 are linked to the Delta strain (first located in India) - 98 are linked to the Gamma variant (first found in Brazil) - 262 cases where a mutation has been detected
- 18,817 resolved cases (97 per cent)
- Over 579,000 tests have been done
There are five active outbreaks in the region. Four are in workplaces:
- Construction 17 (2 cases)
- Trades and related services 22 (2 cases)
- Pluto Day Care (2 cases)
- Manufacturing/industrial 41 (7 cases)
- Health (dental services) 5 (2 cases)
Meantime, the province reported 593 cases Wednesday --- 348 were unvaccinated.
The rest of the provincial COVID-19 totals are posted below:
- 78 per cent of those 12 and over have been fully vaccinated
- 576,389 total cases
- 560,824 resolved cases
- In hospital due to COVID - 148 unvaccinated - 7 partially vaccinated - 35 fully vaccinated. ICU data - 116 unvaccinated - 10 partially vaccinated - 10 fully vaccinated
- 9,629 deaths (5 new)
- 33,220 tests completed Tuesday --- Over 17.6 million since January 15, 2020