The health department in Waterloo Region is reporting a new COVID-related death. The region's medical officer of health confirmed earlier Friday that a child under the age of 10 has passed away.
It puts the local death toll at 294.
The region also reported 20 new COVID-19 cases. That compares to 35 on Thursday.
The overall total is now 19,367.
Six people are being treated for the virus in a local hospital --- five are in intensive care.
The active caseload is down slightly to 202.
81 per cent of residents 12 and over are now fully vaccinated. Over 87 per cent of eligible residents have received at least one dose of the vaccine, which works out to over 858,000 doses.
Here are some other updates from the region's COVID summary dashboard:
- 6,125 cases have screened positive for variants of concern - 3,128 are the Alpha variant (first found in U.K.) - 21 are linked to the Beta variant (first detected in South Africa) - 2,616 are linked to the Delta strain (first located in India) - 98 are linked to the Gamma variant (first found in Brazil) - 262 cases where a mutation has been detected
- 18,867 resolved cases (97 per cent)
- Over 582,000 tests have been done
There are five active outbreaks in the region. Two are in workplaces:
- NEW Congregate setting 48 (1 case)
- St. Benedict Catholic Secondary School (2 cases)
- Construction 17 (2 cases)
- Pluto Day Care (2 cases)
- Manufacturing/industrial 41 (7 cases)
Meantime, the province reported 795 cases Friday --- 460 were unvaccinated.
The rest of the provincial COVID-19 totals are posted below:
- 79 per cent of those 12 and over have been fully vaccinated
- 578,048 total cases
- 562,172 resolved cases
- In hospital due to COVID - 136 unvaccinated - 10 partially vaccinated - 30 fully vaccinated. ICU data - 120 unvaccinated - 9 partially vaccinated - 13 fully vaccinated
- 9,637 deaths (5 new)
- 33,763 tests completed Thursday --- Over 17.66 million since January 15, 2020