Region of Waterloo Public Health reported 60 new cases of the coronavirus on Friday, which is the highest daily case count in Ontario, according to the province. That compares with 67 cases on Thursday, and 72 on Wednesday.
The overall total now sits at 16,914.
51 people are being treated for the virus in a local hospital --- 18 are in intensive care.
The active caseload is at 528.
Over 73 per cent of adults in the region have received at least one dose of the vaccine, which works out to over 439,000 doses. More than 74,000 residents (15.89 per cent) have been fully vaccinated.
Here are some other updates from the region's dashboard:
- 3,517 cases have screened positive for variants of concern - 3,063 are the Alpha variant (first found in U.K.) - 11 are linked to the Beta variant (first detected in South Africa) - 76 are linked to the Delta strain (first located in India) - 60 are linked to the Gamma variant (first found in Brazil) - 307 cases where a mutation has been detected
- The local death toll remains at 259. No new deaths were reported Friday
- 16,113 resolved cases (95 per cent)
- Over 507,000 tests have been done
There are currently nine active outbreaks in the region. Six are in workplaces:
- NEW General office setting 14 (8 cases)
- Health services - Chiropody (2 cases)
- Trade and related services 15 (2 cases)
- Food and beverage services 19 (3 cases)
- Trades and related services 14 (3 cases)
- The Village of Winston Park long-term care (4 cases in residents, 3 in staff)
- General office setting 13 (5 cases)
- Trillium Bilingual Montessori School Child Care (2 cases)
- Congregate setting 42 - multiple locations (100 cases)
Meantime, the province reported 345 cases on Friday.
The rest of the provincial COVID-19 totals are posted below:
- 2.54 million residents fully vaccinated --- 12.15 million doses have been administered
- 541,525 total cases
- 528,421 resolved cases
- 378 people are in hospital - 352 are in intensive care (***This number includes patients who are in an Intensive Care Unit (ICU) levels 2 and 3 flex, neonatal, pediatric and adult. It includes people who are on ventilators and people who are not***) - 221 are on a ventilator
- 8,994 deaths (1 new)
- 26,643 tests completed Thursday --- 15.67 million since January 15, 2020