Skip to content

Ontario issues four-week stay-at-home order starting Thursday

Premier Ford says stores providing essential goods will remain open, but they will only be permitted to sell grocery and pharmacy items
Doug Ford screenshot April 7 2021
Screenshot of Premier Doug Ford at a news conference on April 7, 2021

Ontario has issued a new stay-at-home order today to fight an alarming surge in COVID-19 cases fuelled by variants of the virus.

Premier Doug Ford says the order will take effect at 12:01 a.m. Thursday morning and last for four weeks.

He says the province will declare its third state of emergency of the pandemic to invoke the new measures.

Ford says stores providing essential goods will remain open during the four-week period, but they will only be permitted to sell grocery and pharmacy items.

He says the new measures are necessary to fight the third wave of the pandemic that threatens to overwhelm the health-care system.

The new restrictions follow a decision last week to impose a four-week provincewide shutdown that put an end to short-lived indoor and outdoor dining and lowered capacity for retail establishments as well as indoor and outdoor gatherings.

You can find more information on the stay-at-home order here.

Rogers Sports & Media
230 The Boardwalk Kitchener, ON, N2N 0B1
© 2006-2021 Rogers Sports & Media. All rights reserved.