The Ford government has announced over $7 million in funding to help more than 80 festivals and events, many of which did not happen, or did just virtually in 2020 due to the pandemic.
The announcement was made Friday morning by Heritage, Sport, Tourism and Culture Industries Minister, Lisa MacLeod.
"The COVID-19 outbreak has had an unprecedented, devastating impact on arts, tourism and culture in the province - our sectors were hit first, hit hardest, and will take the longest to recover," said MacLeod. "It is critical that our government continues to support organizations that are finding new ways to engage with and reconnect Ontarians, while preserving jobs and supporting local economies. The Reconnect Festival and Event Program will help support the economic and social recovery of communities across Ontario."
In Waterloo Region and area, The Reconnect Festival and Event Program is supporting the following:
- Kitchener-Waterloo Oktoberfest - $100,000
- Ever After Music Festival - $100,000
- Hamilton Family Theatre in Cambridge (seventh season) - $64,823
- Kitchener Blues Festival - $41,250
- Digital Dynamics (at THEMUSEUM) - $27,038
- Snyder's Farm and Fear Farm - $72,500
- Stratford Festival's 2020 season - $100,000
- Hillside Festival - $69,516
The 2021 Reconnect Festival and Event Program will open on March 17.