Region of Waterloo Public Health posted an increase of 86 COVID-19 cases on its dashboard Saturday afternoon.
This brings the new total up to 3,448 cases for the region since March.
The number of active cases has increased to 496 from 460 since yesterday, marking the highest active caseload locally since the start of the pandemic.
In a statement to 570 NEWS, Medical Officer of Health Dr. Hsiu-Li Wang called the dashboard update an "unfortunate milestone", and said it should serve as a serious reminder to all Waterloo Region residents that COVID-19 should be considered to be "widely circulating in our community."
Dr. Wang also said Public Health has continued to see an increase of outbreaks in various workplace settings, as she reminds people to follow public health practices including in spaces that are employee only - such as lunch and break rooms where spread is often seen.
The Medical Officer of Health also said she was saddened to hear of another death in the community where COVID-19 is thought to have been a contributing factor.
"I wish to express my deepest condolences to the family and loved ones," said Dr. Wang. "The individual was in hospital, a female in her 80's and had underlying conditions."
On the reporting of 105 new cases in the Region from the Province, Dr. Wang said there are sometimes reporting differences between regional numbers and the province due to a difference in reporting periods.
Here are some other updates from the Region's COVID summary dashboard on Saturday:
- 2,824 resolved cases (81 per cent).
- There have been 125 deaths in the region linked to the virus. The latest was confirmed November 28.
- 29 cases are currently hospitalized (eight in ICU).
There are currently 25 active outbreaks in the region:
- Chartwell Westmount long-term care - Williamsburg Unit (one case in staff)
- Luther Village on the Park - Sunshine Centre (two cases in residents, one in staff)
- Village Manor in St. Jacob's (28 cases, one death)
- Congregate setting 9 (one case)
- Congregate setting 8 (two cases)
- Food processing workplace 4 (nine cases)
- Construction workplace 4 (two cases)
- Manufacturing/industrial workplace 7 (three cases)
- Manufacturing/industrial workplace 6 (two cases)
- General office setting 4 (two cases)
- Food and beverage services 7 (four cases)
- Food and beverage services 6 (two cases)
- Sports and fitness - dance class related (two cases)
- Manufacturing/industrial workplace 4 (three cases)
- Food and beverage services 4 (three cases)
- Sports and fitness - hockey related (eight cases)
- Sports and fitness - racquet sports related (22 cases)
- St. Bernadette Catholic School (two cases)
- Centennial Public School (three cases)
- Blessed Sacrament Catholic School (two cases)
- Grand River Hospital - Medicine Unit 5S
- Cambridge Memorial Hospital - Wing B (Level 4, Medicine B Unit)
- Trades and Related Services 4 (three cases)
- Industrial Equipment Sales/Services 1 (nine cases)
- Automobile Sales/Services 1 (two cases)
Here's the rest of the provincial COVID-19 summary for Saturday:
- 113,038 total cases (1,822 new today)
- 95,876 cases are resolved (84 per cent)
- 3,624 related deaths (29 new today)
- 595 hospitalized (155 in the ICU)